This program gives low-income seniors and low-income persons with a disability the opportunity to apply for a cancellation of property tax increases.
If you have applied for and received a cancellation last year, you should continue to apply each year, even where your taxes may have decreased. This will ensure that you obtain the maximum deferral benefit.
To qualify for a cancellation of a property tax increase you must:
- Have a combined household income of $38,000 or less AND
- Have a residential assessment of $715,000 or less AND
- Be 65 years of age or older; OR,
- Be 60-64 years of age and be in receipt of a Guaranteed Income Supplement under the Old Age Security Act; if widowed, be in receipt of the Spouses Allowance under the Old Age Security Act; OR,
- Be a person with a disability and be in receipt of disability benefits.